by Brian Burke
on Monday, November 30th, -0001 at 12:00am.
Hidden Dangers of Carbon Monoxide in Denver
Beware! According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, an average of 170 people die every year in the U.S. from carbon monoxide (CO) produced by generators, fireplaces, water heaters, furnaces and similar products.
Since people can't see or smell CO, many people who are exposed to it are completely unaware. Mild symptoms from exposure to CO range from flu-like symptoms (minus the fever) to more severe exposure, which can lead to confusion, loss of muscular coordination, unconsciousness, and even death!
So, what should you do? The International Association of Fire Chiefs recommends installing a carbon monoxide detector on each level of your home even the basement. Detectors should be located within 10 feet of bedroom doors, and if you have an attached garage, there should be one near it or in the room over it. Finally, detectors should be replaced every five to six years.
Here are a few important tips to help you avoid exposure to CO:
Never ever operate the abovementioned fuel burning appliances without proper instructions.
Never ignore a carbon monoxide alarm that has gone off.
Never leave a car running in the garage.
Have your chimneys and flues checked regularly by an inspector.
Always perform a consumer test per the carbon monoxide detector's manual to ensure that the device is working.
For more info Please contact us with any question. 303-955-4220
View homes with current updated information including Foreclosures on your Phone or IPad
Brian Burke | Broker | ePRO | Expert | 303.955.4220 Office | 303.710.2609 Direct | Brian@kennarealestate.com